Tag Archives: Super Mario

Super Mario Phone Cozy

7 Mar

Like any good knitter, I’m knitting in anticipation of welcoming a new baby to my world: my new phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace. It’s being baked in the mail as we speak, and should be delivered sometime this week – a girl can dream.

I am honestly excited to get my own pretentious electronic device! So far I’ve been fine with my non-smrt phone that’s ultimately most useful as a paperweight or, I would imagine, a sort of disposable hammer in a pinch. Now I’ll get a phone that I may be able to use for reading knitting patterns, woo-hoo! 🙂 My priorities here reveal me as a knitter, I think.

Anyway, I’m knitting this Super Mario themed cozy for it. A small project, but I learned a new trick. I’ve been knitting it back and forth without turning the work. I may well be doing the backwards knitting all “wrong” but it doesn’t matter over 20 stitches. It may well matter more over longer distances. I’ve also been forced to knit with three strands per row which has gone surprisingly well, promising good things for future stranded colorwork sweaters and other rather more ambitious projects.

I want to knit a lot of cozies for this thing, the next in line could be something Minecraft related, probably a creeper. Maybe. There’s a surprising and disappointing lack of Minecraft patterns or knitting/crochet charts (or at least of ones I’ve been able to find). Oh internet, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

…Mixing geeky references feels like mixing metaphors. Froody 😉

1 Up

27 Sep

Meet my new favorite mittens. I’m a total geek so these were right up my alley. And a little less intimidating to begin than a weighted companion cube.

Pattern: Mushroom mittens

Designed by Kamilla Svanlund

Yarn: Nalle from Novita (DK/8 ply, 100 g = 260 m)

Needles: 3 mm

*****

Once again I chickened out and didn’t do the intarsia. It just never works out for me. I have no idea what I should do differently to make it work. Every time  intarsia is used in a pattern I’m working on, I do try it, but I haven’t gotten any better at it. So I guess practise usually makes perfect.

This time my inability to do intarsia wasn’t a problem because the mushroom motif was small enough for me to sew it on. I did it before starting the decreases to make the needlework easier. Doing this creates a thicker fabric but I actually kind of like how it feels to the back of the hand.

But I do have one problem with these mittens, and it’s a problem I have with most mittens that have some sort of image on the back of the hand.

It’s that the motif is placed dead center of the mitten, which means that when the mitten is worn it actually looks like the motif is off-center! The thumb always pulls the fabric to the side. Then I have to look at asymmetrical mushroom placement.

I should just move the motif a little to the side when knitting something like this. Problem solved.

In all other regards it’s a great pattern (fun and quick) and the mushroom is perfect 🙂

%d bloggers like this: